Home » Bishopric of Dorpat by Jesse Russell
Bishopric of Dorpat Jesse Russell

Bishopric of Dorpat

Jesse Russell

Published July 4th 2012
ISBN : 9785512226230
Paperback
150 pages
Enter the sum

 About the Book 

High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! The Bishopric of Dorpat (Estonian: Tartu piiskopkond- Low German: Bisdom Dorpat- Latin: Ecclesia Tarbatensis) was a medieval principality and a catholic diocese which existed from 1224 to 1558, generallyMoreHigh Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! The Bishopric of Dorpat (Estonian: Tartu piiskopkond- Low German: Bisdom Dorpat- Latin: Ecclesia Tarbatensis) was a medieval principality and a catholic diocese which existed from 1224 to 1558, generally encompassing what are now Tartu, P lva, V ru and J geva counties in Estonia. The Bishopric was part of Livonian Confederation. The first bishop of Dorpat (the current Tartu) was Hermann von Buxhoeveden, the brother of Albert, bishop of Riga and leader of the Livonian Crusade. The Estonian Diocese was established by the bishop of Riga in 1211 and its first nominal seat was Leal (Lihula) in western Estonia. In 1224, Estonian bishop Hermann took possession of parts of what is today southeastern Estonia and chose Dorpat as his new seat, 6 November 1225 he was enfeoffed with his principality by Heinrich, King of the Romans, and on 1 December created as a March of the Holy Roman Empire. The principality was founded mainly on territories of Ugaunian tribe of ancient Estonians. In 1242, Bishop Hermann with his Ugaunian subjects was defeated by Novgorods prince Alexander Nevsky in famous Battle on Lake Peipus.